Indoor Safety

Woman blow drying hair in bathrobe

Electricity powers our homes and businesses and is safe as long as we treat it with respect. Keep these tips in mind when using electricity inside.

Circuits and Outlets

  • Always use the correct ampere rated fuses or circuit breakers. Incorrect amperage can cause power outages or fires. You may have an electrical wiring problem if you frequently replace fuses, reset circuit breakers, hear buzzing sounds or see sparks and/or flickering lights. Contact a licensed electrician to inspect for safety hazards and make necessary repairs.
  • Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) where there is greater potential of shock — kitchen, bathrooms, laundry rooms, porches and patios. These safety devices reduce the risk of electrocution and should be tested periodically.
  • Outlet covers protect your children. Use them throughout your home.
  • Be careful not to overload outlets with multiple plug-in adapters or power strips. Overloading can cause fires.

Power Cords

  • Remove cords from outlets by pulling the plug rather than the cord. Replace cords that are damaged. Avoid carrying items by their cord. Never remove the third prong from a cord. It connects with a ground wire to keep you safe.
  • Use extension cords with caution. They are only for temporary use. Prolonged use can cause overheating and fire. If used, do not exceed the recommended load rating. Do not plug two extension cords together and do not place cords under rugs or carpet.

Electricity and Water

Water is an excellent conductor of electricity, which makes the two a dangerous combination. Use hairdryers, telephones and other electrical devices away from sinks, tubs, spas and wet counters or floors. Do not pick up or unplug an appliance that has fallen into water. Instead, turn the power off at the breaker before unplugging. Use dry hands on appliances and light switches.